In 1849 the first Catholic, John Reynolds, arrived in Olmsted Falls. The first Mass was celebrated in 1854 in a log house belonging to the village. Fr. Louis Filiere was the first pastor of St. Mary of the Falls in 1856. The parish school was started in 1873 and closed in 1900 during the financial panic that gripped the nation during that time.
In 1948, the first church was destroyed by a fire. In 1949, the parish built the school building with the basement to be used as a church. The school was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph. In 1958, because of increased enrollment, two portable buildings, former barracks, were moved 35 miles from Christ the King Parish in East Cleveland to St. Mary of the Falls. These became classrooms for the primary grades.
Our current all day kindergarten program was initiated in 1987, and in 1991, the first computer lab was built. In 1997, the construction of the current school building began. St. Mary of the Falls School celebrated its 60 year anniversary in 2009.
Preschool (Preschool three, four, and PK) was added prior to 2009. Each year since it’s beginning, our program has grown and expanded.
Today, our school continues to be strong; educating students in Preschool through Grade 8 in mind, body, and spirit.